UTK Child Protection Training Instructions
Everyone in Tennessee is a mandated reporter. Tennessee Code Annotated 37-1-403(a)(1) Any person who has knowledge of or is called upon to render aid to any child who is suffering from or has sustained any wound, injury, disability, or physical or mental condition shall report such harm immediately if the harm is of such a nature as to reasonably indicate that it has been caused by brutality, abuse or neglect or that, on the basis of available information, reasonably appears to have been caused by brutality, abuse or neglect. (i)(1) Any school official, personnel, employee or member of the board of education who is aware of a report or investigation of employee misconduct on the part of any employee of the school system that in any way involves known or alleged child abuse, including, but not limited to, child physical or sexual abuse or neglect, shall immediately upon knowledge of such information notify the department of children’s services or anyone listed in subdivision (a)(2) of the abuse or alleged abuse.
All UTK Student Teacher Candidates are required to complete Child Protection Training.
Please plan to take approximately 1 hour to complete this training. Click on the link below to access the training:
Child Protection Training Website
● You will need to make sure to disable any pop-up blockers for this website.
● Click on the link to register for and access Child Protection Training.
● On the Training Details page, click on the gray Request button.
● Enter all fields: First Name, Last Name, Email Address (use UT email), Program Affiliation (enter Teacher Education Program), Program Coordinator Name (enter Dr. Geri Landry), and create your own password.
● On the next page, you will see “Child Protection Training for Covered Adults.”
● Click on the gray Launch button when you are ready to begin the training.
● The training will take you through information regarding what to expect when reporting suspected child abuse, as well as policies and laws.
● At the end of the training, there will be a 10 question quiz. You must pass this quiz to complete your training.
● When you have completed the course and quiz, return to the Home page.
● For the listed Child Protection Training, click on the gray “View Completion Page” button.
● On that page, click on “View My Certificate.” Download and save this certificate to your files.
● To finalize your training, you must upload your certificate to HAL (Google Classroom).
If you have specific questions regarding the Child Protection Training, please contact Kelley Gober (firstname.lastname@example.org). You can also view additional information regarding the reporting of child abuse and neglect in Tennessee at the TN Department of Children’s Services website.
Any additional questions regarding the required Child Protection Training for education programs can be directed to the Office of School-Based Experiences at email@example.com or 865-974-5203.